Tuesday, March 21, 2023

A postcard from a rock 'n' roll friend, Robert Forster

Recently, The Go-Betweens' Robert Forster visited Abbey Road Studios and shared his thoughts about it.


Greetings from the Day A Dream Fulfilled.

I’m back at my London hotel having spent the day at Abbey Road. In the studios and in the canteen.

Yesterday I arrived back from Oxford. Tomorrow is my London.show. So Sunday was free in my schedule, and the remastering of two of my Ninities albums, to be reissued by the wonderful Needle Mythology label was suddenly slotted in today - the remastering to be done at Abbey Road. My first ever visit to the studio.

It began at 9. 08am when I got into the cab and said to the driver,‘ Abbey Road please.’ He said yes knowing exactly where I wanted to go. The early Sunday morning swing through the empty streets of Regents Park to the studio.

A miracle, or something rare, I was told. Studios 1, 2 and 3, were empty - Did I want a tour before we went to the mastering suite on the top floor? 

Yes please.

Of course the absolute highlight was studio 2. The glass-windowed control room high above the studio. To walk down the stairs JohnPaulGeorgeRingo walked down all through the Sixties. To stand in the room and just know what happened here. The Cathedral of Rock And Roll. The piano lid on the famed ‘Mrs Mills’ piano lifted, where Paul pounded out Lady Madonna and others, and yes I managed a few chords on the old brown stained keys. I’d reached the Source.

I must add I am not a Beatles nut. My admiration for them growing through the years. And I prefer their early work - I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do and I Want To Hold Your Hand. But standing in that room was very moving.

Then upstairs to master my albums. The cloak of magic on me the whole time.

So I sit in my hotel room a little stunned and energised, recounting my day thus far.

Fond Regards

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment