Wednesday, July 12, 2023

R.I.P. Bob Segarini, 1945-2023

Sadly, singer/songwriter and radio personality Bob Segarini has passed away. We're remembering Bob with a just few of his songs. 

BOB SEGARINI on “Life As a Devotion To Music”

I lived in Stockton California but I made my bones in small towns and large, from Vancouver BC to San Diego CA. We would load the gear and drive hundreds of miles to new territory and offer to play or audition wherever we could. We took chances, we slept on floors, played for nothing or something and wrote songs all the while. We recorded in garages and studios, basements and kitchens. We drove to L.A and San Francisco and worked our way in, and up.

Two things were essential. Talent and passion. We did the work. And those who did and stayed the course, got the education and skills you need to go further. I had a great time. And that is something worth much more than fame or fortune. A life full of great experiences, a house full of stories, and a catalogue of music that I created that will exist long after I'm gone.

Maybe I would have been wiser to chase the money or the glory, but that shit doesn't feed the soul. And as tough as life can be sometimes, doing what you love (and I love recording, radio, writing, and so many other things) and enjoying the work involved, makes for a full and interesting life. When the day came when I no longer cared to perform, I stopped and went on to other careers that I enjoy equally if not more.

There is so much great music being made locally and around the world these days, I'm happy to hear it all. Rival Sons, Chromeo, James Blonde, Courage My Love, Samantha Martin, Dirty Loops, July Talks, Saint Paul and the Broken Bones, Jordan John and so many others. I hope they all have as much fun as I did. They should. There are "Local haunts" everywhere. We had to drive a long way to become 'local'. And we became 'local' because we played original material that you could only hear from us. 

When it comes to bands, nothing has changed. Solo artists can go for the fame and fortune thing alone, or by committee. But true rock and roll has always crawled on its stomach. And it still does.

A crowd-sourcing campaign has been started on behalf of Bob Segarini's family to help with funeral costs. Anyone interested can contribute right here. 












No comments:

Post a Comment