Sunday, August 21, 2022

Young Marble Giant Stuart Moxham gets his guitars back

After 36 years, Stuart Moxham has been reunited with the Rickenbaker 425 on which he wrote all his Young Marble Giants songs. 


Writes Stuart...

My previous post obviously left a lot to be desired in terms of clarity.

Anyway, the big deal was that I have bought back my beloved Rickenbacker 425, which I was obliged to sell in 1983, from a kind gentleman who lives near Chester, hence the two-day journey from Dorset.

When I sold this instrument, on which I wrote, recorded and played all the Young Marble Giants and early The G!st material, I was so despondent - but I painted my name under the truss rod cover, just in case I ever saw it again. (They are extremely rare here.)

It turns out that in the year I finally left Cardiff, 1986, it was bought by the man who reunited me  with it today - for a good price - because he felt it would be a poetic act.

Ok, so it seems like I have my two essential geetars now: the prodigal Rickenbacker electric and the Martin acoustic which was gifted me by my old best mate Kenneth Brake shortly before he went back to the other place.

My unreleased back catalogue is close to being properly and fully available too - on the burgeoning Tiny Global Productions label - so hopefully, all things being equal, I am now in the position of writing the next album! Oof, that only took forty years.




No comments:

Post a Comment