Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Limited-run Marshall Crenshaw compilation The Bootleg Sounds reissued in October

Yep Roc is recirculating their limited-edition RSD vinyl release The Bootleg Sounds of Marshall Crenshaw on October 23. 

Here's the scoop:

Originally released by Yep Roc on brown vinyl for Record Store Day back in April, the 15-track Marshall Crenshaw archival compilation, The Bootleg Sounds of Marshall Crenshaw: 1984-1987, is being re-released by Yep on black vinyl on October 23rd. 

Marshall dug through his vast archives and assembled a collection of previously unreleased recordings, demos and live songs, including a cover of Buddy Holly’s “That’ll Be the Day,” featuring Garry Tallent and Max Weinberg, "The Blues Is King" recorded with Let's Active's Faye Hunter and Mitch Easter, and a Marshall-ized update of an overlooked Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps gem "Right Now,"  

One particularly cool artifact included here is a demo snippet featuring vocals by Kirsty McColl. Marshall had been working on a demo for the song, “(We’re Gonna) Shake Up Their Minds,” but had hit a block in writing it. According to Marshall, “ At one point when I was struggling to write it, I sent the backing tracks to Kirsty MacColl to see what might happen. She wrote her own song (‘All I Ever Wanted’) over the tracks; it wound up on one of her albums (and a UK single too, but not one of her hits unfortunately). I’m presenting this the way I found it on the tape reel- my demo, followed by the last bit of her demo, which I accidentally recorded over. 

The Bootleg Sounds LP provides a rare glimpse into an artist’s songwriting and recording process, as well as featuring some very fine recordings finally seeing the light of day.

The limited edition Record Store Day 2026 LP only release is now available on CD, and back in print, this time on black vinyl. Get a copy of The Bootleg Sounds of Marshall Crenshaw: 1984-1987 is available for pre-order via Bandcamp right here. Don't bother trying to get it fromYep Roc, they haven't updated their site in months. Check out the track list followed by an interview with Marshall along with a couple of live clips from a 1985 performance at The Ritz in New York below.  



The Bootleg Sounds of Marshall Crenshaw: 1984-1987

A1 They Will Never Know

A2 (We're Gonna) Shake Up Their Minds

A3 All I Ever Wanted (Excerpt)

A4 That'll Be The Day

A5 Little Wild One (No. 1) (TV Track)

A6 The Distance Between

A7 Blues Is King (TV Track)

B1 Right Now

B2 Vocal Test

B3 Town Without Pity

B4 Terrifying Karaoke

B5 Synsonics Go Berzerko!

B6 Reet Petite (Live)

B7 Try (Live)

B8 This Is Easy (Live)






No comments:

Post a Comment