Friday, December 3, 2021

One For The Weekend: Gurf Morlix

Here's Gurf performing his song "Food, Water, Shelter and Love" (off Diamonds To Dust) in Winnsboro, TX back in 2009. 


Grab a copy of Gurf's new album The Tightening Of The Screws from his site right here

Writes Gurf...
"The second word of my new album is bullshit. That’s right. It’s bullshit. By that I don’t mean to say the second word of my new album is meaningless nonsense. By no means is it deceptive drivel. It says what it means. It means what it says.

"The album is called THE TIGHTENING OF THE SCREWS, and the first song is titled Touch You Inside. It’s a plea for deeper communication. The first line is “No bullshit, no lies, no guile, no disguise… I just wanna know what you’re seein’, through those beautiful eyes”. Nothing seditious in that. It’s a call for honesty. Yet this song is deemed not fit for public airwaves, because a group of American Puritans likes to monitor public radio, hoping to get left of the dial stations shut down for broadcasting dangerous words such as this. It’s bullshit!

"8 year olds use that word every day. Presidents use that word in public. Puritans use that word!  My friends in other countries tell me “You Americans think you’re so free. You can’t even show nudity on tv. Or say bullshit on the radio!” It’s bullshit!

"The last song on THE TIGHTENING OF THE SCREWS is titled Comin’ Back To Haunt Me. One line in it says “I can’t let her see, how she scares the shit outa me”. Another example of a word used properly to describe a particular situation. It’s a euphemism, and it’s as common as bullshit. Yet the self-righteous prudes are on guard, lest a word like that be heard in public.

"Two out of ten of the songs on my new album can’t be played on the radio, and in my publicity release I felt I should mention these songs. With a warning label. I strongly wanted not to, but finally realized that the repercussions could be heavy, for the people playing my music on the air. Thus the “profanity” warning. C’mon, America. It’s the 21st century. Wake up and smell the bullshit." 

No comments:

Post a Comment