Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Gary Louris highlights John Wesley Harding salute, The Good Lyre

The Jayhawks' Gary Louris covers "Kiss Me, Miss Liberty" for The Good Lyre benefit album in support of Sweet Relief out April 2. 

Here's the scoop from Wes...

"In tenth place, but only alphabetically, on THE GOOD LYRE is Gary Louris of The Jayhawks, doing Kiss Me Miss Liberty!

"Gary, my comrade-in-dressing-rooms-and-record-stores, is one of my favourite friends in music-making, his band The Jayhawks one of my favourite bands and perhaps America’s finest. I was lucky enough to make my most recent album with them - they are beloved of all British men with taste (including Sir Ray Davies). Someone requested this particular song, "Kiss me Miss Liberty," from JWH's New Deal recorded by the entire band and while that seemed a little ambitious in these days of spatial distancing, I thought we might get as close as possible. Gary pointed out that “I can’t face confinement anymore” has special new meaning now; mind you, he also thought I was singing “policemen” rather than “fall leaves” in the first verse. Glad we ironed that out. He also thought the melody bore more than a passing resemblance to his 2000’s song In The Canyon so I was relieved that mine was written years earlier!

"I also now remember that, it may have been Gary who got this thing going in my head. Because when someone suggested this song by The Jayhawks, I remember thinking: "Hey, that could actually happen!" And I think that's what started this off. So thank you.

"Please pass knowledge of The Good Lyre on to your friends (this has become known, recently, as "sharing") and into the beyond because that is how we will make the most possible money for the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund - who receive 100% of the profits - when we release on Bandcamp 4/2! 


Various Artists - The Good Lyre: Songs of John Wesley Harding

1. Ryan Miller - Your Ghost (Don’t Scare Me No More)

2. Eric Bazilian - The Person You Are

3. Tanya Donelly - The World (and All its Problems)

4. Josh Ritter - Sussex Ghost Story

5. Rosanne Cash - I’m Wrong about Everything

6. Gary Louris - Kiss Me, Miss Liberty

7. Britta Phillips - Sleepy People

8. Steven Page - Why Must the Show Go On?

9. Chris von Sneidern - Negative Love

10. Graham Parker - The Devil in Me

11. Wreckless Eric - Sick Organism

12. Bad Scene - You In Spite of Yourself

13. Casey Neill - Darwin

14. The Minus Five - Making Love to Bob Dylan

15. Marti Jones and Don Dixon - Dreamfader

16. David Lewis - Infinite Combinations

17. Bob Pernice - To Whom It May Concern

18. Marshall Crenshaw - I Just Woke Up

19. Dean Friedman - Top of the Bottom

20. Dag Juhlin - People Love to Watch You Die

No comments:

Post a Comment