Sunday, October 10, 2021

R.I.P. Austin drummer deluxe Trey Robles

Sadly, primo pounder Trey Robles of The Hard Feelings, Big Foot Chester iand Young Losers recently lost his battle with COVID-19. He'll be greatly missed. 

Trey Robles remembered by Hard Feelings guitarist John Schooley:
Trey Robles has passed away, due to covid. I hadn't kept up with him since The Hard Feelings called it quits, but the band ended amicably and it would be nice to see him whenever we would run into each other in later years. The last time I saw Trey was at Walter's wedding in 2019, a few months before the pandemic hit, and soon after that spontaneously catching up with an old friend you might randomly see out on the town was suddenly no longer a possibility. I'm glad that my last memory of Trey is from such a joyous occasion. (I'm also glad that I never referred to Trey as "My drummer," so upon his death there won't be a recreation of people telling that oft-repeated story of Charlie punching Mick that everyone shared when Charlie Watts died!)

Even though I hadn't seen him as much lately, Trey was the single guy I have been in a band with the longest - through three albums and three different bass players. You can't spend that much time in a van with somebody without having that kind of accelerated connection that you only get from touring with another person. We shared the same cynical sense of humor - most of the Hard Feelings lyrics were me trying to crack Trey up - which is probably why the band wasn't more popular. Instead of universal human themes of love and life, the songs were more often a bunch of in-jokes that we would laugh at like Beavis and Butthead! But we had fun.

Trey was an excellent musician and we had a lot of good times together. The Hard Feelings was my first time singing and fronting a band. I didn't really know what the hell I was doing, and I was figuring it out as I went along. I wish I had been better at singing and writing songs, so Trey could have had some better material to work with. He was a total powerhouse as a drummer and was definitely the best part of the band. I'll miss him. – John Schooley, Austin
 





No comments:

Post a Comment