Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Brigid Mae Power issues covers collection Burning Your Light

The 6-song EP features Brigid Mae Power's versions of tunes by Townes Van Zandt, Songs:Ohia, Patsy Cline and Bob Dylan.  

Here's the scoop...
Last year Brigid Mae Power’s record ‘Head Above The Water’ saw her unique vocal style and music heralded in all corners. Burning Your Light is her follow up six track EP of covers out now via Fire Records.

Taking on a lesser-known Aretha Franklin track from her 1970 album ‘This Girl’s In Love With You’, "It Ain’t Fair" is a tear-soaked paean of regret that was written by Ron Miller who notably co-wrote  ‘For Once In My Life’ with Orlando Murden which was a huge hit for Stevie Wonder.
 
“I have listened to 'It Aint Fair' by Aretha Franklin possibly thousands of times by this stage. Starting when I was 14. I always loved Aretha's voice and emotion in the song. I also like that the song has a 'feeling sorry for yourself nothing ever works out' vibe but it picks up with 'I believe, I'm hopeful I can make it'.” – Brigid Mae Power 
 
Ranging from the traditional tune "May Morning Dew" to ‘Didn’t It Rain’ (Songs:Ohia) through to the timeless gems of Townes Van Zandt ('I'll Be Here In The Morning"), Patsy Cline ("Leavin' On Your Mind) and Bob Dylan ("One More Cup Of Coffee"), she brings hope and reverence to these classic songs.

Brigid Mae Power’s ability to interpret songs is unquestionable, as is her love of the art of songwriting. She skilfully brings joy from pain which is perfectly illustrated on this new release. 

Get a copy of Burning Your Light right here. Listen to Brigid Mae Power's haunting version of Songs:Ohia's "Didn't It Rain" Bob Dylan's "One More Cup Of Coffee" below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment