Friday, April 2, 2021

Eli 'Paperboy' Reed shares salute to New Orleans great Johnny Adams

Eli is kindly donating the proceeds from the sale of his recording of "A Losing Battle" to Johnny Adams' widow Judy Adams. 

Here's the scoop from Eli...
Late last week, I was forwarded a message from Judy Adams, the widow of the great New Orleans R&B singer Johnny Adams. Her and her daughter were in dire straits. She lost her home in a flood over the summer and has been living week to week ever since. Since most of Johnny’s great music was made during the time when unfair or exploitative contracts for African-American musicians were common, she told me that royalty payments from his records are close to nonexistent. Johnny Adams has always been one of my all-time favorite singers, and I knew that I had to do something to help Judy. As it happens, I had recorded this version of Johnny’s blues ballad “A Losing Battle” for the Blues Kitchen video series in London in 2019. I reached out to the mastermind behind that series, my friend Liam Hart, to see if we could remix the audio from that session and put the song up for sale, with all proceeds going to benefit Judy Adams and her daughter. He, of course, agreed and now here we are! For the 24 hours that bandcamp is waiving their fee, every penny from the sale of my version of “A Losing Battle" will go directly to Johnny’s widow and daughter. I know many of us are hurting right now, so do what you can to help. Enjoy the music, and if you haven’t already, go listen to Johnny Adams!

Get a digital copy of Eli's version of "A Losing Battle" via Bandcamp right here. Check the clip below. 

Eli Paperboy Reed - Piano and Vocals 
J.B. Flatt - Organ 
Jesse Barnes - Bass 
Attis Clopton - Drums 
Gabriel Medd - Trumpet 
Paul Jones - Tenor Sax 


No comments:

Post a Comment