Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Joe Pernice's new solo album, Richard out now!

Singer/songwriter Joe Pernice follows up the Pernice Brothers' Spread The Feeling with a solo set recorded while in lockdown.

Here's the scoop from Joe...
Greetings.
On June 19,  I will release a solo album. It’s called RICHARD. It’s basically me and a nylon string guitar I recorded in my basement bike shop during Covid lockdown. There are no world-altering songs of protest on it. There are no songs that poetically and compassionately describe the lives of our fellow citizens who have lived within a system braided with racism. I wish I could write that song. God, knows I have tried, but they always come up short. (Maybe the title song goes part of the way there. I don’t know.)

But I tried to make as beautiful thing as I could with the idea of adding to the net positive of the world. It’s what I try to do with all my records. It’s not a lot as far as contributions go, but so far music is the best way I feel like I can give. (For those who think my music blows, I say, “I completely understand that, and you should see my paintings.”)

My record will be available on June 19th via Bandcamp for immediate digital download, plus LP and CD preorder. On that day Bandcamp will donate all per-sale fees to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. And for every record from my Bandcamp catalog that sells or is pre-ordered on that day, my partner and I at Ashmont Records will make a matching contribution to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Like I said, it’s not a lot, but it’s an additional way we’re able to contribute.

I sincerely hope the new record can help to briefly soothe people. But make no mistake: It’s not intended to make people forget and ignore the times we are in. Quiet is not the same as Peace, And I’ll keep trying to write that song.
Love to all,
JP






If you haven't yet picked up Joe's latest Pernice Brothers album, Spread The Feeling, you can get a copy from the group's site right here. Also there are a few of Joe's prior recordings with The New MendicantsScud Mountain Boys and Big Tobacco along with the soundtrack to Joe's fine first novel, It Feels So Good When I Stop available right here. Check out a few of the songs Joe posted while in COVID-10 lockdown over here



No comments:

Post a Comment