Saturday, December 30, 2017

Happy Birthday Patti Smith and Paul Bowles!

Patti Smith interviewed Sheltering Sky author Paul Bowles in Tangier back in 1997.    Photo by Tim Richmond

"I was first introduced to Bowles in a serendipitous way. In the summer of 1967, shortly after I left home and went to New York City, I passed a large box of overturned books spilling out into the street. Several were scattered across the sidewalk, and a dated copy of Who’s Who in America lay open before my feet. I bent down to look, as a photograph caught my eye above an entry for Paul Frederic Bowles. I had never heard of him but I noticed we shared the same birthday, the thirtieth of December. Believing it to be a sign, I tore out the page and later searched out his books, the first being The Sheltering Sky. I read everything he wrote as well as his translations, introducing me to the work of Mohammed Mrabet and Isabelle Eberhardt.

"Three decades later, in 1997, I was asked by German Vogue to interview him in Tangier. I had mixed feelings about my assignment, for they mentioned he was ill. But I was assured that he had readily agreed and that I would not be disturbing him. Bowles lived in a three-room apartment on a quiet street in a straightforward fifties-modern building in a residential section. A high stack of well-traveled trunks and suitcases formed a column in the entranceway. There were books lining the walls and halls, books that I knew and books I wished to know. He sat propped up in bed, wearing a soft plaid robe, and appeared to brighten when I entered the room.

"I crouched down trying to find a graceful position in the awkward air. We spoke of his late wife, Jane, whose spirit seemed to be everywhere. I sat there twisting my braids, speaking about love. I wondered if he was really listening."

    'Are you writing?' I asked.
    'No, I am no longer writing.'
    'How do you feel now?' I asked.
    'Empty,' he answered.

"I left him to his thoughts and went upstairs to the patio on the roof."

Night Waltz: The Music of Paul Bowles


Si Mohammed Bel Hassan Soudani – Fulani Iresa 


No comments:

Post a Comment