Friday, May 29, 2020

New solo album from Nat Birchall due in June

Nat Birchall's forthcoming album Mysticism Of Sound is slated for release on June 26.  Listen to "Celestial Spheres" below. 

Here's the scoop from Nat...
"I've always hated the synthesizer, with one very notable exception which is when it's played by Sun Ra. When the lockdown began I had to think of ways to try to generate some income. My first thought was to record a solo saxophone album and sell it just as a download, thereby avoiding the need to go to a studio (impossible in the lockdown of course) and avoiding the need to have CDs or LPs pressed. It was uncertain whether pressing plants would continue to operate or maybe Post offices would close like they did in France.

"I'm uncertain just exactly how I got here but after a week or so of recording solo saxophone, I decided to get a small, cheap synth, the Korg Minilogue, and tried for something a little different. I'd already bought a single basic microphone and a preamp/interface and purchased a digital recording workstation (Reaper) so when the synth arrived I got to work.

"In two hours I had a 'test' track finished, it was only 47 seconds long but it's actually the first track on this album. The music just happened largely by itself and even though I was still aiming to make a download only album I was so surprised by the results that I'm pressing it on an edition of 500 copies on 180 gram vinyl. I even played drums on some of the tracks, something I've never ever done before, even though there's a kit here (which is really my daughter's), I've only ever tried to play reggae on it. But the jazz just happened, I have no explanation for it. Although I admit it's not the best drumming you're ever likely to hear it serves its purpose.

"And I'm not an engineer by any means, even though I've sat next to the engineers on practically every one of my albums when mixing and I've added my input I've never actually twiddled a knob and am still pretty clueless when it comes to "hands on" engineering. But I know about sound, or the sound that I like at least. So I gave it a shot, and once it was mixed I had a go at mastering it.

"So, coming very soon, a few short weeks hopefully, this is truly a "solo" album because I did every damned bit of it (even the sleeve design...) myself, so I have no one else to blame if it flops! And it's kind of Sun Ra inspired but I don't think the music sounds like that, except for maybe some of the synth sounds. But it's music which means a lot to me, the Sun Ra quote on the cover goes some way to explain why that is but is only part of the Immeasureable Equation. Thanks for listening!"
Peace,
Nat Birchall

You can pre-order a copy of Nat Birchall's Mysticism Of Sound album right here. Listen to "Celestial Spheres" below.


No comments:

Post a Comment