Thursday, April 9, 2020

Quarantunes: Raul Malo salutes John Prine

The Mavericks' Raul Malo pays tribute to the late great John Prine with his own version of "I Just Want To Dance With You"
Writes Raul...
It is with a heavy heart that I write this today. I thought perhaps this virus would be a merciful one and spare our friend @John Prine. It did not. The world has now lost one of its greatest troubadours. That we all know. However I’m going tell you a little bit about what kind of guy he was. I had the pleasure and honor of “opening” for John a few years back. This was during my solo years, and I was at a real crossroads in my life as to whether or not I was going to be able to continue to do this for a living. John treated me with nothing but kindness and respect. His entire crew made sure I had everything I needed night after night. John’s character was apparent from the moment I walked through the backstage doors at whatever theater we were playing. It matters who’s in charge.

Throughout the years I would see John in all kinds of settings, from backstage at @Ryman Auditorium, to the Granny White Market (where we’d take our kids so they could grab their after school snacks). He always greeted me warmly. I can hear him clear as a spring day adding almost an extra syllable to my two syllable name...”hey Ra-uu-ul” he’d say with his unmistakably raspy drawl. Pleasantries would soon follow and then a short goodbye, knowing that we would see each other again.

I saw John many times after those years. His children and my children grew to be friends. His triumphs this year were celebrated at my house too. He was an inspiration not just personally and musically, but professionally as well. I often refer to John, and his label @Oh Boy Records, as a model for everything that we (@The Mavericks) are doing now. He set the example. He set the tone. Of course he did. He’s John Prine. – RM


Watch Raul Malo's rendition of "I Just Want To Dance With You" followed by John Prine's performance of his song accompanied by Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway and Phil Donelly back in 2003.




No comments:

Post a Comment